Want to be in the loop?
subscribe to
our notification
Business News
HANJIN SHIPPING GLOBAL CEASES OPERATIONS IN VN
The ministry recommended businesses to quickly complete procedures to receive imported goods at the ports and take them out of the Hanjin containers. With regard to export goods which were already inside the firm’s containers, the ministry asked businesses to get back the goods as soon as possible and contact their foreign partners to find ways to change to other shipping firms and to organise the goods booking schedule.
Those batches of goods that had already been shipped, the businesses were told to keep in touch with the Hanjin representative office in Viet Nam to keep track of the itinerary and co-ordinate with their foreign partners to ensure the goods were received at the ports on time.
The ministry, in co-ordination with the Ministry of Transport, said it would direct the ports to support businesses to ship and receive goods to avoid affecting the businesses’ schedule and traffic congestion at the sea ports.
According to the Associated Press (AP), Hanjin, the world’s seventh-largest container shipping company, filed for bankruptcy protection on August 31 and stopped accepting new cargo. With its assets being frozen, ships from China to Canada were refused to offload or take aboard containers because there were no guarantees that tugboat pilots or stevedores would be paid. This also led to a rise in shipping rates and could also hurt some trucking firms with contracts to pick up goods from Hanjin ships.
The South Korean giant represents nearly 8 per cent of the Trans-Pacific trade volume for the US market. While some retailers may already be hit with their merchandise for the holiday season getting delayed, experts say it is important for the issue to be resolved before the critical shipping month of October.
Regarding the bankruptcy of Hanjin Trần Thanh Hải deputy head of Import-Export Department of the Ministry of Industry and Trade (MIC) said the ministry has worked with authorised agencies to assist Vietnamese exporters after Hanjin Shipping Global stops operations in Viet Nam.
Hai said Hanjin accounted for 5 per cent of logistics market in Việt Nam. Therefore, industries with large volume of export such as garment, footwear, timber or fisheries would be affected by the bankruptcy.
To solve this problem, the Ministry of Industry and Trade announced on its website for those who have to change their shippers. The ministry will work with Ministry of Transport and port authorities to offer inventive for containers influenced by the bankruptcy.
Nguyá»…n Việt Hòa, CEO of Vietnam Container Corporation (Viconship) said the impact to Viconship was negligible. Hanjin just entered the Viconship’s Green Port for the last 3 to 4 months.
Hòa said in the last four months, Hanjin maintained only one ship every week and made a contribution of around 3 per cent and 5 per cent of revenue.
Currently, Hanjin owes a debt of about US$100,000 to Viconship. However, Viconship was holding 500 to 700 containers worth more than $1 million.
Äá»— Văn Minh, General Director of Gemadept JSC said his company did not suffer from the "incident" of Hanjin. At the moment, Gemadept did not work with this container shipping company.
In Việt Nam, Hanjin is the first container shipping company invested in domestic port market. Hanjin contributed its capital to Tân Cảng – Cái Mép International Terminal Joint Venture. Tân Cảng – Cái Mép International Terminal is a joint venture by Saigon Newport Company and 3 foreign partners including Hanjin Shipping Line (Korea), MOL (Japan) and Wanhai Line (Taiwan).
Source: VGP
Related News
REAL TEST - NOT JUST WORDS
A truly fireproof bag must prove itself through action. SentrySafe FBWLZ0 was put to the test under flames reaching 1,300-2,000°C. Constructed with 4 layers of high-quality materials — not just for marketing, but for real protection. When risks happen, what you need is reliable protection. SentrySafe FBWLZ0 – safeguarding what matters most, even in extreme conditions.
EXCLUSIVE HKBAV MEMBER OFFER DISCOUNT: 15% OFF
Eligibility: HKBAV membersPromotion: Special offer for the 2026 Mid-Autumn FestivalHow to enjoy the discount: Please mention that you are an HKBAV member when placing your order.
TECHNOLOGY ASSESSMENT IN THE CONTEXT OF INNOVATION AND GREEN TRANSFORMATION
Vietnam's new vision on strategic foreign direct investment means that the work of Vinacontrol Group in terms of technology assessment is deemed more vital than ever. Vinacontrol Group is currently one of only two organisations nationwide designated by the Ministry of Science and Technology to conduct technology assessment under Decision No.29/2023/QD-TTg, placing it at the centre of a process that increasingly determines whether an investment project can proceed, be adjusted, or be extended.
HO CHI MINH CITY OUTLINES PLANS TO START FOUR MORE METRO LINES
Ho Chi Minh City People’s Committee plans to begin construction on four metro lines by the end of 2026, which is part of the plan to complete 255km of metro lines by 2030. The first line, which connects Binh Duong New City with Suoi Tien, covers a length of over 32km, with an estimated investment of $2.18 billion. The line will pass through seven wards.
VIETNAM TARGETS 50,000 AI-SKILLED PROFESSIONALS FOR KEY SECTORS BY 2030
Vietnam is stepping up efforts to build an AI-ready workforce, targeting 50,000 skilled professionals and 10,000 advanced specialists by 2030 to strengthen strategic industries. Deputy Prime Minister Le Tien Chau signed Decision No.1528/QD-TTg, dated August 11, approving the National Programme on Artificial Intelligence Human Resource Development through 2030, with a vision to 2035.
DUNG QUẤT EZ, QUẢNG NGÃI IPS DRAW NEARLY US$19.4 BLN
The Dung Quất Economic Zone and Quảng Ngãi industrial parks have so far attracted 441 projects worth around US$19.4 billion, according to the Dung Quất Economic Zone and Quảng Ngãi Industrial Parks Authority (DEZA). The DEZA now has 350 projects run by 293 companies, employing nearly 81,700 workers, while about 20,000 additional experts, engineers and workers are building mega projects, according to data presented at a workshop marking the authority’s 30th anniversary recently.
























